Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The (Odious) BBC

My thanks to Bookworm (linked on my blogroll) for reminding me that I had not posted on this story. Anyone who knows me, as well as anyone with even a hint of objectivity, knows that the BBC (which is still considered by many to be THE news voice of the world) is rabidly biased against Israel. That's not a statement of opinion, it's a statement of fact. Several years ago, in an effort to establish that it was completely objective, the BBC commissioned a study to show that it was fair in its reporting. The results of the study were known as the "Balen Report", named for the ombudsman who headed the commission which conducted the study.

Well, the study comes out and, lo and behold, the BBC doesn't want it published. In fact, it goes to court to prevent anyone from finding out what the report contained. Gee, I wonder why...............In any event, and very unfortunately, it has now been held that the Balen Report will not be released to the public or anyone in the media: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=451138&in_page_id=1770. I could make a bunch of trite statements about "freedom of speech", "freedom of information", etc., etc., but they wouldn't do this issue any justice. I'll just say this: You can be sure that if the Balen Report showed anything other than the rabid bias of which the "Beeb" has been accused, its publication would not have been opposed.

No comments: