Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The end of my blog???

Maybe. Someone--or more than just a single someone--apparently complained to Google/Blogger that my blog was a "spam blog". I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I find it troubling that this complaint was made. My blog is e-mailed to no one. In fact, it's about as obscure as they come. I can only imagine that someone was offended by the contents of the blog--maybe they're a Barack Obama partisan, or a supporter of Islamofascists. Who knows?

I've contacted Google/Blogger to try to have the "spam" label taken off of my blog, but I have no idea when that response will come. If it doesn't come, or if Google/Blogger refuses to remove the label, that may be the end of the BHG's blog, because the hoops I now have to jump through to get a posting published are a major pain in the rear end, and I don't have that kind of free time....................

UPDATE (2:05 p.m.): No indication yet from Google/Blogger that it will remove the restrictions placed on my blog. Here is what Google/Blogger's policy is regarding so-called "Spam Blogs", and how they are defined:

"Is spam permitted on Blogger?
What Are Spam Blogs?
As with many powerful tools, blogging services can be both used and abused. The ease of creating and updating webpages with Blogger has made it particularly prone to a form of behavior known as "link spamming". Blogs engaged in this behavior are called spam blogs, and can be recognized by their irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text, along with a large number of links, usually all pointing to a single site.

Spam blogs cause various problems, beyond simply wasting a few seconds of your time when you happen to come across one. They can clog up search engines, making it difficult to find real content on the subjects that interest you. They may scrape content from other sites on the web, using other people's writing to make it look as though they have useful information of their own. And if an automated system is creating spam posts at an extremely high rate, it can impact the speed and quality of the service for other, legitimate users."

I ask you, does my blog fit within this category?

1 comment:

Serket said...

I hope this accusation didn't cause you to stop blogging. I was sent a similar e-mail, and at first I was worried, but it said a computer randomly selects blogs and I just had to click on a link and within a day or so I was safe. I didn't do any posts during that time, so I didn't experience the frustration of it.