Thursday, November 15, 2007

Selling out Israel

I'm not sure who's more eager to do it, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice or the Confederacy of Dunces otherwise known as Ehud Olmert, Tzipi Livni and the other members of their government: http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=4772.

Why is it that Israel is always asked to give up tangible things in return for illusory promises? Israel withdrew completely from Gaza (a move which I naively supported at the time), and what did it get them? Constant rocket attacks. Now Israel's obedient leaders are being told to give up the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights. Apparently, they are considering doing that as well.

Given Condoleeza Rice's shap tilt towards the Palestinians over the last two years, and the generaly morphing of the Bush 43 Presidency into the Bush 41 Presidency (in terms of their views on Israel), I can't say that I'm surprised by what is going on here. However, I am stunned by the sheeplike behaviour of the Israeli public, which by and large seems to not care that their country is being sold out by its own leaders. I know that I have readers in Israel. PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that I am wrong.

UPDATE (8:55 a.m.): For more on the subject of Israeli leaders selling out their country, and the intransigence of the Palestinians, see Jeff Jacoby's article in the Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/11/14/is_israel_a_jewish_state/.

No comments: