Thursday, November 15, 2007

No refugee status for you!

Two deserters from the American Armed Forces who fled to Canada to avoid being sent to Iraq in 2004 have been denied refugee status by the Canadian Supreme Court: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/11/15/hinzman-decision.html. To be more precise, the Court refused to hear their appeals of earlier decisions denying them refugee status.

I have to say that I am pleased by this decision. Let's not forget that unlike during the Vietnam War, there is no draft currently. Those in the Armed Forces have joined voluntarily, and it seems only logical that if you do join the military, you should go where they tell you. Then again, I will concede (as one Ron Paul supporter keeps harping) that I am not and have never been in the military. So, maybe I have no right to comment at all on this issue.

1 comment:

Serket said...

This is a good decision, even if it was unintentional.