Wednesday, January 30, 2008

An open letter to those who now want to "sit out" the 2008 Presidential Election

A listserv of which I am a member just had a posting from someone who is none-too-pleased about the fact that Senator John McCain is now poised to win the Republican Presidential nomination. The poster added that he was now going to "sit out" the next Presidential election. Here was my response:

"Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more with your sentiment. I am not thrilled with Senator McCain either, given his views on illegal immigration and "torture". That said, the man has a 90% agreement rating from the American Conservative Union, and if it means keeping Hellary or Obama out of the White House, then I'll pull the lever for McCain. Don't you remember what President Clinton did to the military from 1993-2001? Shrillary will be much worse. By the time she was done, we'd be lucky if the military could field one well-equipped division. You want socialized medicine? Sit out this election and get ready for the waiting lines to see your doctor. Like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Medved, Dennis Prager, Michael Savage, Marc Levin, Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, Michael Reagan? Say bye-bye to them as the Fairness Doctrine is reimposed. No one is a bigger supporter of Israel than me, and I can't stand the fact that Senator McCain is apparently chumming it up with James "F--- the Jews" Baker, but let's not forget that Hillary's best buddy in the whole world is Suha Arafat, and that the Junior Senator from New York (then the First Lady) just sat there like a statue when Ms. Arafat blamed Israel and Jews for infecting the Palestinian people with AIDS. So, on Israel, I'll take McCain over Hellary. And that's just for starters.

So, go ahead, "sit out" the 2008 election. You'll have only yourself to blame when the Angry Left takes its vengeance for what it sees as the "wrongs" of the past eight years.............."

2 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I said this on another blog but it's worth repeating here. The big strentgh of the GOP is the fact that it's more inclusive of dissenting views than the democrats are. Look at the range of views and canidates that the GOP fielded vs. what the dems offered up. The GOP offered real choices and the dems offered well Billary and Obama.
The GOP has to realize that if it goes the road of the dems (see Joe Liberman) then we hand the country over to Mr. Two Americas, Billary and Uncle Ted.

Thanks but no thanks...

Anonymous said...

Like I said in my comment above, being a Brit I've stayed out of commenting on the Republican race, but if I was posting now I'd pretty much say what you've just said. I was sad to see Rudy go, and Fred as well, and I would prefer Romney to McCain for similar reasons to yours. But the war is the biggie, and McCain is good on it, so if he's the nominee I'll be rooting for him as much as I would for any of the others.

Hugh Hewitt made a good point in a symposium over at NRO:

'This looks a lot like 1968 when a centrist Nixon kept the new figure in American politics, the conservative Reagan, from getting a foothold from which the California governor could rally the conservatives.'

Maybe conservatives, and the American people, are ready for a moderate figure this time round. Rudy and Fred won't be contenders in four years (or eight if McCain wins and lasts two terms), but Romney could be, and there will be some new blood around too, perhaps the likes of Bobby Jindal in Louisiana.

I still hope Romney gets it. He'll play well against either Obama or Billary, and with the right running mate (Fred? Huck?) will be able to unite conservatives.

These are interesting times, but if we don't get a Republican in the White House they'll also become increasingly dangerous times.

I'll try and expand on some of this if I ever get round to posting again!