Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An expansion of the blog?

A number of people have e-mailed me privately to ask why the blog is "so political". They would like to see a broader range of topics covered--more on sports, which I used to discuss more often than I do these days, it seems; more on my family, more on the commando basset hounds, etc.

The reason that the blog is "so political" is that as I have gotten older, my interests have shifted. I used to be a sports freak, watching sports over just about anything else on television, particularly if that sport was hockey! I would say that this was true even as I got well into my thirties. However, I have always been an Israel freak, and the (planned) eruption of the Second Intifadah made me focus more on the crises facing the Jewish state. Then came 9/11, which will forever be one of the defining events of my lifetime. Like so many others in this area of the United States, I knew someone who died in the Twin Towers. I thought then that the world had changed forever, and continue to believe that this country--or at least a significant chunk of it--simply does not understand the threat it faces from the Islamofascism. As as result, I have become a largely political person.

Don't get me wrong, I am still very into sports. I will forever be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, Miami Hurricanes, Boston Red Sox and Chicago Bears. When I pay attention to the NBA, I will follow the travails of my new favourite team, the Los Angeles Clippers (no, that isn't a misprint. Someone has to be a Clippers fan. Why not me?). It's just that my interests have been focused elsewhere (on political stuff) of late.

That said...................I think that perhaps I should "expand my horizons", so to speak. Though I have only been blogging for about 10 months, I don't want to burn myself out on politics. Sports remains an interest for me, so why not spout off on that subject as well? I also will bring in some more discussion of my family, what I am doing, etc. I love my family, and Lord knows, the actions of the kids and the dogs certainly provide me with plenty of material. The blog will still be heavily political, but some other topics will work their way in.

So, that's where I plan to take the blog, or at least I'm going to make an effort to do so. I hope that you'll stick with me for the ride!

1 comment:

Serket said...

I enjoy your blog the way it is and you've done posts on sports, weather and animals. My own blog is basically non-political. The only change I would suggest is that I like hyperlinks better than open links, but I imagine you have your reasons for it.

I really enjoy the NBA. I recently saw Guarding Eddy which claims to be a true story about the Clippers, but I haven't found any information to support it, but Keyon Dooling is in it.