Monday, June 9, 2008

My life to a "T"

As readers of this blog (I know that there must be SOME of you out there) are aware, by profession I am an attorney. I kind of fell into it by default. I wasn't looking to be a lawyer, but given that I liked to talk alot and that becoming a history professor seemed to be an even more miserable career choice (the "publish or perish" routine seemed entirely not to my liking), I ended up in law school, and I have now been a practicing attorney for about 14 years.

Those who know me also know that I'm absolutely miserable doing what I do. Well, it turns out that I'm not alone. In fact, far from it: http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/legl2f99.htm. Lawyers in general are miserable, and as the cliche goes, most would turn back the hands of time and pick something else to do if the could. Lord knows, I think that on a daily basis (many times a day, in fact), and I often lecture others who are preparing to march down the same path to nowhere that I took.

My message to anyone who reads this? DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL. If you do, go into a career field other than practicing law. It's simply not worth the price attorneys are asked to pay on a daily basis (and that's not even counting the daily public scorn that we receive). By the way, this is no way meant to be a pity play. Rather, I would just like to see some people not make the mistake of pursuing a career choice that does not reward those who follow it sufficiently to make the sacrifices worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know what you mean, as I am retired trial judge. I'm constantly trying to shake that identity off, and am leaning towards creating art and "living in the moment", and not with deadlines, etc. Good luck with your blog.