Thursday, February 21, 2008

Message sent

The U.S. Military has successfully shot down a spy satellite which was (so the story goes) in a decaying orbit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/dead_satellite. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I DO strongly suspect that the shoot down was intended to send a not-so-subtle message to China--and possibly Russia, too--that we can shoot down satellites as well. How the Chinese react to this will be anybody's guess..............

1 comment:

Serket said...

This is cool and I'm glad it was a success. The reason to shoot it down sounds plausible since the satellite has been defective since the word go, and it still had a lot of fuel in the tank. But there was also likely intellingence information and it is fun to send a message to other countries. My dad says China has shot down a satellite before too, but I don't know.