Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Sports Thought? Okay............

If I have any readership left (doubtful), they will know that I am a die-hard Montreal Canadiens fan.  Being a Habs fan, at least these days, is challenging.  It's been 21 years since the team won the Stanley Cup, and Montreal remains the last Canadian team to win the coveted prize.  This year's team?  Meh........I don't hold out much (okay, any) hope of that streak being broken.  There are some good young players on the team--Carey Price, PK Subban, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Michael Bournival, Jared Tinordi, but there are also a lot of stiffs (Hello, Rene Bourque) and players who would at best be fourth-liners on most other teams.  As well, the team remains too small, and unless you're the Chicago Black Hawks, who are small but who at the same time are incredibly skilled, you're not going anywhere.  My thought is that the over the next few season, the team should shed the dead weight by whatever means it possibly can, and PLEASE, can we call the Michel Therrien experiment a failure and move on?  It's like watching the second coming of Jacques Martin out there.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to my first ever NASCAR race.  What can I say, I now live in "The South", which is very much NASCAR country.  Yes, I watched cars go vroom vroom in circles for a couple of hours. Gotta be honest, though:  It was actually a lot of fun.  Granted, the people-watching was even more fun, but once can't but be impressed with the skill with which these drivers operate their cars at speeds around 200 miles per hour.

No comments: