Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Commando Basset Hounds

As readers of this blog will find out, I am the owner of three basset hounds, which I have taken to referring as the "Commando Basset Hounds". Why, I don't know, but that is what they are called. Collectively, their IQ is lower than a child's shoe size, but they seem to function nonetheless.

Last night, I got home from work, and as is my tradition, I went to the kitchen and got three dog biscuits, one per dog. As is HIS tradition, Flash (our almost 10-year old male) vacuumed his down in a matter of seconds. Our two younger females, Phoebe and Sadie (both just under two years old) brought theirs out to the living room so that they could eat more slowly. Flash lumbered out of the kitchen and over to where Phoebe was standing over her cookie. Clearly, his goal was to snatch her cookie away from her, and even with her extremely limited mental skills, Phoebe realized this. Well, they both went for the cookie at the same time, and in a true Three Stooges-like moment, whacked their heads together. Phoebe howled and bolted for upstairs where one of my kids found her cowering in our shower. Flash apparently thought that the cookie had hit him and started howling at it. Eventually, order was restored when Sadie scooted over and consumed the offending biscuit.................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly, if you had a video camera running 24/7 in your house you could make a fortune on America's Funniest Home Videos

Bald Headed Geek said...

It's the irony of ironies. I hate reality tv shows, and yet what goes on in my house, especially with the brain-dead canines, would be a perfect fit for such a show!

BHG

Anonymous said...

are basset hounds really that stupid?

Bald Headed Geek said...

I read a survey years ago which supposedly measured the intelligence of dog breeds. Basset hounds finished 118th out of the 125 breeds which were surveyed. Judging by the four which I have owned over my life, I think that they were ranked too highly! ;-)

BHG